BRAZOS COUNTY SHERIFF'S PHONE# (979) 361-4980 IN AN EMERGENCY DIAL 911
- Avoid shopping alone. Use the buddy system whenever possible.
- Shop before dark and always park in well-lighted areas.
- Use waist-pack carriers instead of purses.
- Make sure all doors and windows are locked in your vehicle and home.
- Do not keep packages in plain view in your vehicle or home.
- Do not count cash in open areas, especially after leaving an ATM machine.
- Keep your address and home phone number private. When stores request a phone number, give only your work number.
- After making a credit card purchase, request the carbon copy and destroy it in private.
- Have keys in hand before returning to the vehicle.
- As you approach the car, check to see if anyone is hiding underneath or inside.
At Home or Apartment
- Never let strangers inside your residence.
- Keep your garage door closed to prevent thefts.
- When going out for the evening, turn on lights, a radio, or television to make your home or apartment appear occupied.
- If you plan to be out of town for a few days, purchase an automatic timer for lights.
- Have a trusted neighbor watch your home and pick up your mail and newspapers. Ask them to park a vehicle in your driveway.
- Immediately after the holidays, mark new purchases and gifts with your driver's license number. You can check out an engraver from the Crime Prevention Division of the Brazos County Office of the Sheriff.
On the Computer
- Shop only from well-established and reputable companies. Avoid auction sites if you do not feel comfortable buying or bidding.
- Before you give your credit card information, take note of the icons that indicate that security software is in place to secure your purchase.
- Print out and date a copy of all terms, conditions, warranties, item description, company information and confirming e-mails. Save this information as a record of your purchase.
- Avoid computer viruses and unwanted access to your information by not accepting e-mail from people you do not know.